Sunday, February 13, 2011

A sewing project for Valentine's Day.

A good friend of mine gave me some shirts that didn't work for her (she is losing weight and looks amazing!)  I loved one shirt but it never looked right on me.  I would try it on and then take it off in frustration.  It was so pretty but on me, it looked boxy and made me look pregnant....and not in a good way!

The last time I tried to find a way to wear it, I took it off and tossed it on my sewing table where it landed on this green paisley fabric.  I RARELY mix patterns.  I love how they look, but I can never seem to match them up on my own.  Well, I looked over and loved the combination.  I doubt I would have thought about these two fabrics had it not been for the fortuitous juxtaposition.   So I made a skirt and dress out of the shirt and fabric. I started Saturday night and found myself in a full on sewing kick. I managed to finish in time for Maddy to wear it to church the next day. (her choice, not mine, I thought it was more of a school dress)

Feb132011_5023

 I confess that I love the fact that the shirt already had a nifty ruffled edge.  When I get my serger up and running again, I'm going to try this as a way to accent other outfits.  Super cute!  With a few minutes and a trusted seam ripper I was able to tie the green fabric strips in....

Feb132011_5019

With some more careful snipping of the shirt, I was able to create a matching section of ruffle for the peasant blouse.  As a note for myself: Make the shirt a hair wider and the base and a tiny bit longer to allow for a larger seam.

Feb132011_5016

I repurposed a seam on the shirt as a tie on the shirt. Maddy is so skinny that without a tie, many shirts and dresses look too baggy. It's hard to see but I also added a fantastic little extra that I love. I made a false hem at the bottom of the shirt with extra topstitching as a detail. It lays perfectly and came out just as I imagined. I played around with a scrap for a good 5 minutes, folding and pressing to figure out the best way to get the look. (happy sigh)

Feb132011_5025


I would love to have custom tags for my clothing, but I am too cheap to buy 300 at a pop! (Let me know if you have a good store for smaller quantities!)  I dressed it up with a tiny purple tag for fun.

Feb132011_5017



You are probably wondering what the entire outfit looks like....of course, my daughter is adorable and cute and did NOT feel like cooperating. The best shot? This one. I do love her so much. I love her excitement and joy!
Feb132011_5046

Feb132011_5045


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blah Blah Blah! I know you want to let me know what you think! :)