Wednesday, January 19, 2011

100 Days of School!

Before I show off Maddy's awesome 100 Day's project.....I present the midget's solution to getting an apple. Yup. This is how I found her when she said that she could get an apple all by herself. Awesome kid. Crazy, but OSM!


The 1st grade is doing a 100 Days of School Project. Each child is supposed to present a display of 100 things. Suggestions included 100 toothpicks glued to look like a house or 100 seashells....

Maddy picked 100 books. Mostly because we discovered that 100 books are taller than she is! We did have to swap a couple out for some thicker ones, but we did get the height that she was working for.

She has actually read most of these books. The ones she hasn't read are ones that she is currently working on (A Cricket in Times square and Ramona and Her Father) or I know she will finish (the Nature's Children books-she read most of them and is constantly reading them)

As we worked on this project, I realized that we have not been buying very many books for girl. She is a library fiend and most of her books come from the school library. She did get The Doll People for her birthday and Where the Sidewalk Ends for Christmas.



I originally thought about printing out her picture life size, but then I realized that even a cheap poster print was NOT very cheap. So we went with a 10x30 picture instead.


We snapped a few sitting pictures too. This is what 100 books looks like. As a side note, this is one of Maddy's favorite outfits. She LOVES the tie her Daddy bought for her and her big blue bow. She has recently decided that girl's don't need to tuck in shirts though. The badge on her shirt is from her Student of the Week fame....


And this is what they look like about .3 seconds from being all over the floor!


The project is really supposed to be accomplished by the child. Even though she picked the books and counted them (by 2s, 5s and 10s), I wanted there to be a visible display of her effort. So she made a sign (with help from Mom and Dad) Matt painted cardboard white and drew the outlined letters. Then Mommy and Maddy had fun decorating the board while the boy's were at scouts.

And just so everyone knows....I really hate my point and shoot camera. That is all.

She has stripes and spots and balloons and stars, but I love the Eyes in the 100. The P is an Ice Cream cone. O is a sun. J has flowers (Mom's) C is a monster eating the T carrot and the ! is a hot air balloon. Oh, the D is a rainbow and the S is a snake and the apostrophe is a balloon. I like doing projects like this that help her to see things as the potential for something else....creativity without too much mess!

We also made 100 Thumbprints in 10 different colors on the bottom portion. Maddy will write each number on them after school.

And yes, that is food on her face. I didn't check too closely before we started.


The final print....soon to be covered with glitter and girly decor. I'll post the finished products soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blah Blah Blah! I know you want to let me know what you think! :)