Friday, December 11, 2009

Fort Hood Community Strong Celebration

Today Beth and I pulled the kids out of school early so we could meet the Astronauts that were going to be part of the opening ceremonies at the Fort Hood Community Strong event.

(That's a good reason to pull kids out, right? Astronauts=science=educational event!)

We had a great time. I pulled out my big huge camera and managed to sneak behind the scenes with a bunch of press. I missed the main interviews but I did manage to catch the interview with NHRA (Army Sponsored) dragster, Tony Schumacher. He talked about why he felt the trophy belonged at Fort Hood prior to the opening ceremonies (pic will be added shortly).

That press cred got me up front for the opening ceremonies, were 5 Medal of Honor winners spoke, Astronauts presented Gen Cone with a flag that was flown at Fort Hood before being brought into space. Tony Schumacher and his team presented the trophy and the shows began!

I had up front, press box spots for Aaron Lewis (Staind) and only took a few shots before I decided to go rescue Beth and the kids. The crowd surged forward and I wasn't sure if they made it out in time! Fortunately, they were fine and emerged from the mass intact and just in time to meet the astronauts!

I was behind the barrier and spoke to them for a minute and realized that they would not be signing autographs! (there goes the "educational" aspect of today's adventure!) There were good sports and offered to talk to our kids for a min. I'm glad that they had the chance to speek with them, but I think the kids were still freaked out about the swarm of people mobbing the stage. They were pretty enthusiastic though. As soon as we were done, a handler swooped down and pulled them behind barriers that even I didn't have the nerve to sneak past! I'm glad we had that chance!

We also had the chance to talk to members of the Lt Dan Band! Only 2 pictures though...I was playing up the "press" side and didn't get to be a fan because I was afraid I'd get the boot! My friend N. was blessed with the opportunity to meet Gary Sinise on his last visit to Hood and had dinner with him (great story btw!) I would have LOVED to get him on tape saying "Hi" to her (since he did a shout out to her DH-but I didn't want to whip out my iphone and look like a dork) I was hoping that N. made an impression on him...and I guess she did! (N. You ROCK!!!!)

There was free food everywhere and an entire carnival full of free rides as well. I didn't fight back to the press box for Chamillionaire or the Zac Brown Band, but I did get some pics of Chamillionaire greeting fans and signing autographs in the press tent. He was actually pretty funny and posed for me! Dana Carvey and Nick Jonas also showed up in the press tent for autographs. I was impressed by the Jonas boy. I never paid much attention to him before (I'm not 13!!) but I have to admit that he was polite and well spoken. He took the time to pay attention to even the smallest and shyest of his fans. He did get excited to meet Dana Carvey too! Dana was great and talked to me for a few minutes while he got set up and waited to meet some fans. He was pretty funny, even though he swore on stage and then apologized to the mother of a little kid in the front row!

It was a long day, but fun. I love pulling my camera out and playing around when I'm not "under contract" I haven't had the chance to do this in a while and it was nice. Plus, since the pictures are just for me, I don't have to retouch anything! I made a few bw just for the heck of it, but it was nice to just take them and throw them online with no fuss.

Enjoy the slideshow! If you click on Show Info, I do list more information....


4 comments:

  1. That is so awesome! I would have whipped out the iphone, LOL..I was the tacky dork who pulled out the camera at my dinner!

    So glad you had a good time! Love all the pics!! Thanks for the shout out on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so awesome! I would have whipped out the iphone, LOL..I was the tacky dork who pulled out the camera at my dinner!

    So glad you had a good time! Love all the pics!! Thanks for the shout out on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a cool event! I really miss those neat things that only happen on a Military Post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m director of the Gary Sinise Fan Club on Yahoo, and we send out a daily newsletter Monday – Friday pertaining to all the latest news regarding Gary, CSI: NY, Steppenwolf Theatre and Operation International Children, along with Gary Sinise and the Lt Dan Band. The newsletter includes a daily photograph in professional mat and framework not available anywhere else.
    I believe you would enjoy what we post and share about the CSI: NY show.

    http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/
    group/GarySiniseFanClub/


    If you would like to have all the news first hand, come see us.
    I’d love to have you, and very site!
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete

Blah Blah Blah! I know you want to let me know what you think! :)