Friday, October 9, 2009

Teaching our kids to be fat.....

I might be a bit overly protective of my kids, but I honestly think this is RIDICULOUS.

My 4 year old daughter started pointing out Pizza Hut and KFC recently. I was really suprised because we don't typically eat fast food. It's more of a special exception, rather than the rule. I treat is as a last ditch resort, because I don't want my kids growing up overweight and unhealthy.

(That's not to say I'm opposed to junk. I made cake for breakfast today. Admittedly it was a whole wheat, oatmeal raisin overnight cake, but that's a completely different issue)

It turns out that the SCHOOL MUSIC TEACHER has been teaching the kids a song to "learn shapes".


The lyrics:
A Pizza Hut a Pizza Hut
Kentucky Fried Chicken and a Pizza Hut
A Pizza hut a Pizza Hut
Kentucky Fried Chicken and a Pizza Hut
McDonald’s McDonald’s
Kentucky Fried Chicken and a Pizza Hut
McDonald’s McDonald’s
Kentucky Fried Chicken and a Pizza Hut


WHAT THE HECK! Our children are being indoctrinated and ‘Dumbed-Down‘ with songs about fast food franchises. Singing ‘McDonald’s, Pizza Hut, Kentucky Fried Chicken’ in our public schools sends a grossly consumerist message to our children. Sure it’s a fun idea to sing about things that kids are "familiar with" (one the reason that one of the teachers gave me for the use of this song), but do we really need to brainwash our kids and create positive association with fast food?

Not only does our country have a serious problem with obesity, but the majority of people don't get the basic amount of fruits and veg. that we need for a healthy life. Does it seem like a good idea to indoctrinate 4 year olds with unhealthy lifestyles? Really?

I've always rejected the idea of being an ad for a company. I don't buy tshirts that scream the name of the brand or carry a bag with a logo. I remove the dealer logos on my car. So why would I want my child to be chanting the name of a company? Not just any company, but one that I don't patronize on a regular basis?

This is not a rant to ban McDonalds. I admit that it is a service that I appreciate and use. But I should not have to worry about my child recieving a message that I don't agree with at school. Namely, go eat fast food!

I made it through elementary school music classes without learning jingles for fast food. We sang everything from classic nursery rhymes to southern spirituals, to patriotic music and fun silly songs.....not a burger or pizza in the bunch.



So what do you think? Do you think that I'm overreacting or justified in my irritation?

If you have to listen to the song, check out this video, but be forwarned....it's obnoxious and annoying.


6 comments:

  1. OMGosh!!! that song is aweful, I can't believe they would teach that in music at school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my many issues witht the KISD, don't get me started.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard that song before, it was used by some female in AIT as a cadence call. By the way, how does that song teach shapes? I'm upset by much of what kids are exposed to. And I have a love/hate feeling toward fast food restaurants. They're so unhealthy but so convenient, and the kids actually EAT it, unlike so many things I slave over preparing for them at home. As for education, I've conceded that the schools are educating my kids much better than I could do on my own. I hope this fast food song at Maddie's school is an anomaly in an otherwise good curriculum!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. They must be running out of educational songs or something! That's pretty pathetic. What ever happened to the classic nursery rhymes? I don't think you're overreacting at all. I think it's important for parents to speak up and let our voices be heard concerning these matters. Our kids get enough "brainwashing" as it is from the media... there's no need for more of it from the public school system.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree with you, and I've had my own issues with said music teacher and what they sing...like when she came to tell me about her 4th grade classes dancing to Thriller and my child being picked on because he's not a Michael Jackson fan....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Singing about pizza and burgers is one thing, but sing about the actual restaurants is awful! I don't like to wear words or huge logos on my clothes either. I do were the "Roxy" brand since that is a nickname of sorts. Lol. Still, they should promote healthy foods. The U.S. is definitely too overweight.

    ReplyDelete

Blah Blah Blah! I know you want to let me know what you think! :)