Friday, May 1, 2009

flashback friday...

I dont' know what made me decide to look for it, but here are some of the places from my past....

a house that I lived in in Skandia....if you click on the link, you can look around and see the "neighborhood".

View Larger Map


my highschool. Right off the main drag, run down as ever...

View Larger Map

The middle school (7th grade) We had no lunch room, so we had to go to the high school for lunch...but heaven forbid we ever TALK to a high schooler!

View Larger Map

This is the house I spent my early childhood in ...303 Commando. All the streets were alphbetical and named after aircraft. My house was the second one in...the tree in front was planted when I was just a little kid. I'll have to find some pictures of me in front of it when I was little. My bedroom window is obstructed by the tree now...

View Larger Map

KI Sawyer is a ghost town...parts have been turned into low income housing. They relocated people from Katrina...I have no idea what jobs are there. I can't imagine there is anything. The planes that were on display were too big to move, so they still sit there....

View Larger Map

For a while we lived on 111 Vigilante. Third building over, left side of the duplex. No pictures because that part is still rotting away...you can see how there was a lot of green wilderness for kids to play in. The fence that surrounded the Air Base was a joke. Huge sections were missing or rolled up. After all, who in thier right mind would be out there? We often saw wild animals and occasionally snuck off post via a back road that avoided the gate!

View Larger Map


google is being uncool, but here is a link to the place where Matt and I listened to a band playing on our first date....

Here is the view from about 1/2 way up Franklin St in Monterey Ca. See the big wall looking hill in the distance? Yeah. That was the hardest run....ugh.

The Golden State Theater...our first movie...John Cusack in Grosse Pointe Blank.

Bay Books...our first kiss. And a cheap date hangout. We could sit and read books, make out and leave...without buying anything!

The beach...not as clean or nice as the the one in Marquette, but the site of monthly company runs....in the loose sand. 5th platoon was the red headed stepchild of A Co and we would often run there (2 miles)...do the company run and then finish with a run up the hill home(another 2 miles!). Everyone else was bussed to and from these runs, but they always ran out of busses before we got on! Matt fondly remembers those runs! Personally, I prefered running here...on the Pebble Beach Golf Course...Pirate's Cove had cool boardwalks
View Larger Map
the Lone Cypress








Dennis the Menace Park..we used to walk down here after church and sit on the train and talk....ahh, the days before a car!  If you look across the lake you can see the playground.
View Larger Map

Only 4 months after we were hitched, the Army decided we were actually allowed to live together! Here is our first house! 183 Bataan (yeah, named after the death march)
View Larger Map

Can't show pictures of Fort Sam or Goodfellow AFB or Ft Huachuca, but here is the apartment building we had when we moved here in 1998...yikes!  That was a long time ago!  At the time a "gated community"  sounded safe...little did I know that it was to keep the scary people IN!

View Larger Map


so there you have it...google maps and a travel in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blah Blah Blah! I know you want to let me know what you think! :)