Thursday, January 15, 2009

Still in shock!!!


300...yes a 300!!!!!!
Originally uploaded by Life Happens
I'm floored. Today is my birthday (all 2 hours and 15 minutes so far) and my husband surprised me last night with a Nikon D300.

I've been using a good camera for a few years now. It's long since discontinued but it has served my purposes. I can take pictures...even get paid for it sometimes.

Matt has told me (especially after the rash of weddings this fall) that I need a backup camera. Mine has taken 30-40,000 shots and the shutter is rated for 50,000. For a prosumer camera, that's not bad.

This new camera is rated for 150,000 shots, has a metal body (not plastic), shoots faster and better than anything I've ever handled and frankly, I never even dreamed of owning it. It's a PRO camera. I'm just me, not a pro. I figured that if buisness was good this year, I might save up and get a D90 when the prices drop.

But Matt believes in me. I'm in shock a bit because I still wonder sometimes if I'm going in the right direction. I worry that I don't know enough or that I'm not doing a good enough job. I've improved vastly over the last year and I know I'm still growing....but wow. The first thing that I thought was "wow. He REALLY believes in me."

He's not just supporting me and humoring my hobby because he loves me (frankly he has done that many times in the past....scrapbooking etc) But seeing this made me realize that his support and motivation is more than just love for me.....he really thinks that I have enough talent to do this, not just as a side hobby while my kids are small, but as something I could really do as a buisness full time one day....or as he said, "even if you never take another picture again, you should be able to craft your art and work on your talent. and you deserve this."

I don't know if I "deserve" it and I freaked out a bit at the price tag and even offered to take it back a few times, but he stuck to his guns.

So the moral of the tale?

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, for a small fortune, you too can tell your wife that you really think she has talent.

i'm still in shock. I was hoping for some flowers....

5 comments:

  1. OOO how exciting! What a wonderful husband.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's great!! Your hubby is right... you definitely have a talent in photography. Happy Birthday!! You're 25, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! And congrats on the camera. I have had my eye on a nicer, newer camera (although not quite as fancy as the one you just got!) But keep talking myself out of it because heck, I still don't even use all the features/capabilities of my current camera. I tell myself once I've mastered my current camera I'll upgrade. I may be 100 before that happens!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is AWESOME! I wish I was there for you to take pictures of my family! Where was this talent when I was there anyways? I think you do a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! Wow now that you have a new camera I'd love for you to fly out here and take pictures of my babies when they are born! :-) Just think about it, he he.

    ReplyDelete

Blah Blah Blah! I know you want to let me know what you think! :)