Wednesday, December 12, 2012

365/1 (11 Dec 12)

I know I am posting this early…but I want to build the habit now….plus I need to have time to decide how I will handle posting late or ahem…missing a day.

 I love my boy. I don't get the chance to have him hold still very often for pictures. Heck, I didn't even ask him to change or brush his mop of hair because I didn't want to lose the chance to catch him at this age. 10 ½. The edge between kid and something more.

 It's a challenging age. He is in 5th grade. I can still go in and talk to his teachers. I can still try to teach him that just because you did your homework….it doesn't count unless you turn it in. I can try to help him quit procrastinating and forgetting long term-heavily weighted assignments. But I can see the future….I can't do anything to help him next year. With 7 teachers, he has to be organized and personally responsible. But I'm at a loss for how to help him do that.

I don't ever remember my parents being involved in my school, but I was self motivated….and a flake. I had stress out moments where I realized I couldn't remember something and couldn't find my notes. I have an actual documented memory problem…Although I didn't know it at the time. I remember the panic as I couldn't remember which locker was mine…or what class was next….and this was after going to class for months!

I couldn't understand why everyone else had it so easy and could remember everything. But that fear of having people know that I couldn't remember names, people etc was the motivator for me….I worked so hard so that nobody would know I was broken. I never even told my parents. I just looked like a flake and forgot things. I learned to write everything down. I learned that I need a calendar and timers and reminders. I still have the panic moment when I can't remember a name or where I am supposed to be…or when I ask someone the same question yet again….

 So I see Connor not using the habits that I so painstakingly learned….and forgetting homework…and I worry.


3 comments:

  1. We are all wonderfully made. That means wonderfully made just as we are. Our children will grow up and learn from mistakes. Just as you learned to write everything down, he will learn the consequences of not turning work in in a timely manner...do not worry Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry too much yet, boys his age (and older...say, up to 65) have selective memories, and selective hearing. That boy's mind is so crowded with all the incredible things he is thinking up, it is no wonder if something trivial (like homework) gets crowded out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I commented already but had to go through this sign in junk so I don't know if the first comment took or not! All I said was that Connor has a brilliant mind and if he crowds out some unimportant stuff (like homework) it is just to make room for all the awesomeness going on in there.

    ReplyDelete

Blah Blah Blah! I know you want to let me know what you think! :)