Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Christmas Decorations-Nativities

I admit that this post is a bit late. However, my Christmas tree is still up so, I suppose that I'm right on time for me!


I took some pictures of my decorations this year and this post is about my nativities.  I love the meaning of Christmas and I love how Nativities are such a beautiful expression of that day.

My absolute favorite is one that I bought in 2005.  I love the simple lines and carved wood.  I think that the tarnished metal accents are perfect.  It's not fancy, but I prefer the simple to the elaborate.





With a bit o'bokah....






My other favorite Nativity is my Willowtree set.  I saw this years ago, before they were available in Hallmark and other stores.  The only place I could find them was at a little shop in Salado.  It was displayed in a tea shop that was tucked away behind a row of antique shops.  I loved it but it was so expensive that I just went back again and again to dream.

I took Matt one day and showed them to him.  I thought he might buy me a piece every year for Christmas until I had the whole set.   He walked up to the counter on our next visit to town and told the woman to wrap up the set for me.  She thought he meant the Holy Family, but nope, he meant ALL of them.

So much for developing my patience!  Matt made sure I had it all.  I actually did get the creche as well, but this was the perfect lighting and the perfect spot to showcase this in our new house.


I love how even though there are no details on the faces, you can still sense the love Mary has for her newborn son.




I picked up this one a few years ago.   I like the old world feel to it.  I doubt it is hand carved....but I still like it.


This was the set from when I was a little girl.  I don't know where they came from, but I remember rearranging the figures over and over as a child.  I'm glad that I have this piece of my childhood for my children to enjoy. Of course, for the very first time ever, one of the pieces was damaged.  I knocked the poor shepherd boy onto the tile and broke his leg.  You can still see the white on his leg where a chip broke off.





Thanks to the extra crafty motivation of one of my friends, I have this new display.  It's a glass brick filled with Christmas lights and a vinyl image on the front.  With a shot of gratuitous bokah as well!


I made this set a few years ago.  Actually I made most of the set a while ago, but I finally finished it this year.  I had procrastinated stuffing the camel so I stole couch cushion stuffing.....it's for a good cause, right?

I like the fact that I have a set that small children can feel free to play with and not worry about breaking.  Maddy still loves to play with them!  I did have a great experience with a 2 year old.  He came over and promptly told me the entire Christmas story as he set up the nativity.  He was so sweet and sincere that it made my day.



I also have several ornaments.  These two I hang on the stockings (got to remember the REAL meaning!)  I've never been a huge fan of Santa but I love my nativities.




Funny story, Connor had opened his stocking and realized that he had a new bike helmet by it.  He was so excited that he started hooting and hollering and then he  turned to Matt and said, "COOL!!  Now you don't have to buy one for me anymore!!!"

I guess he really does believe in Santa.....





No comments:

Post a Comment

Blah Blah Blah! I know you want to let me know what you think! :)