Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Back to school anxiety.

Today was meet-the-teacher day.  I have mixed feelings -- as usual -- excitement and dread, all at once -- to send my children off to school for so many hours each day.  See, I really like my kids and I want them around.  But, of course, without an education, they will likely be 'around' for the next 50 years, so that won't work.

I am sure I will love them even more when I do get to see them.  Plus the school day is much much shorter in Arizona than it was in Texas.  I timed Connor and it takes him exactly 10 minutes and 4 seconds to walk home from school.  That doesn't mean I am any less anxious about actually letting him walk alone, unsupervised.  It doesn't matter how many times I put my trust in him, how many times that he has proven his ability to do the right thing.....walking home from school will stress me out until I see him walk through the door.  And since his school is in the OPPOSITE direction from Maddy's school....he will be most likely walking or riding his bike at least SOME of the time. I just don't think there is time to walk there, drop him off and get to Maddy's school that starts 15 minutes later....but maybe.


I have to remember to be patient and let the teachers get settled into the school year before I go in and looking too closely.  It will take time for everything to work out.....



I also decided to make a cute patchwork skirt for Maddy and while I did have her model it, we noticed that it's just a tad bit big. I think I'll tuck it away and let her wear it later in the year. No back to school dress I suppose.
2010Jun17_3449

2010Jun17_3452

2010Jun17_3457

2010Jun17_3466



So my dad lovingly pointed out that I have not updated my blog in a long time.....and I confess, I'm guilty.  I've posted pics on Facebook, but have neglected our family blog.

I'm going to try and update this a bit.  (Dad, let me know if you want any pictures!)

We lucked out this year. While the kids don't go to the same school, I can see BOTH schools from my house and we can walk to school. Connor doesn't have to leave till 7:30 and Maddy and I walk over at 8. No more rushed mornings where we are racing to get out the door at 6:50!

I admit that the school ratings in Arizona made me nervous, but I'll blog about that later. Here are pictures of Maddy on her first day of Kindergarden and Connor's first day of 3rd grade!  School started in AUGUST....crazy.  I swear that when I was a kid, I didn't start so early.

2010Aug11_6445

Connor is suddenly all grown up. My little boy is not a little kid....suddenly he is cool. (although I love his lucky yoda socks!)
2010Aug11_6433

And one more.....
2010Aug11_6432

okay...another because he is so cute...
2010Aug11_6430

And my baby....oh my cute, sweet little girl. She is all adorable and smart and just as cute as a bug.
2010Aug11_6409

She was in kindergarden for just a few weeks....but the school pointed out that when they tested her, she passed the end-of-the-year test for 1st grade. We debated it and decided to let her skip kindergarden starting sept 8th.. She is much happier in 1st, but still the smallest kid...and still adorable!  (she insisted on wearing the same outfit for her first day of 1st grade so these pics can double for both!)

2010Aug11_6413

She found a grasshopper and decided to cheer him on "Jump little grasshopper! JUMP!"  You may notice her cute shoes....unfortunately we waited too long to wear them...She grew over the summer and about 1/2 way to school, we had to turn around and trade them for another pair.
2010Aug11_6441

and one last one.....my friend Cecilia makes bows....and Maddy needed something for her curls!
2010Aug11_6451

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blah Blah Blah! I know you want to let me know what you think! :)