Monday, April 13, 2009

An Easter Story.....

The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes (Sandpiper Books) The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes by DuBose Heyward


My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars
This is one of my favorite books from childhood. I already started a tradition of reading this at Easter with my kids. (yeah yeah, I know, Easter isn't about bunnies)



It's the story of a little country bunny who wants to grow up to be an Easter Bunny. All the other bunnies laugh at her dream. She grows up to be the mother of 21 babies and is laughed at even more. Long story short, her mothering skills show that not only is she wise, kind, swift, clever and brave....exactly what is needed to be one of the Easter Bunnies! She has the chance to live her dream of helping deliver easter eggs BECAUSE she was such a wonderful mother.





But I love this story because it's one of the few books that glorifies motherhood. As a product of the 80s and 90s, I was inudated with the message of "Girls can be anything they want." Girls were encouraged to grow up, go to college, have a career and not be held back by anyone.



What I wanted to be was a mom. I never dreamed of being a pilot or doctor or teacher. I could have and I was constantly encouraged to "find what I wanted to be when I grew up." People (teachers!) never seemed to believe me when I said I just wanted to be a mom. So after a while, I started giving the answers they wanted to hear. I talked about poli-sci and medical school. My grades matched up, so everyone was happy. But inside, I still longed to be a mom. Not just any mom, but a great mom.



I'm not always a great mom, but I have my moments where I shine. I am happy being a mom. I'm happy that there are books out there that elevate motherhood so that my daughter will be happy with having motherhood as a choice for "what to be when she grows up".


View all my reviews.

2 comments:

  1. lol I love you, but I dont think I'll ever understand this side of you. But alas, you ARE a good mommy.
    Is this a good time to mention I changed my major to pre-med??

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are a great Mom, I can tell just by the things you blog about!

    ReplyDelete

Blah Blah Blah! I know you want to let me know what you think! :)